I trust you all had a wonderful and relaxing holiday season. I sure did. Now onto exciting science news!
- According to an absolutely fascinating post by Neurobonkers, the counterfeit prescription drugs industry is leading to a whole new sort of drug crisis.
- In a related story David Berreby of Big Think discusses a new study suggesting that placebo drugs work – even when the patient is aware of the fact! Fascinating!
- Calcium supplementation has long been argued as a key prophylactic against osteoporosis. Unfortunately, according to Jennifer Gibson of Brain Blogger the same thing that makes your bones stronger may make your heart weaker.
- Ever take a painkiller to offset the sore arm post flu shot? You may want to think again. According to a recent study discussed by Hazell of Possibilism, pain killers may reduce the effectiveness of the flu shot.
- Speaking of the flu, two posts on Contagions are absolute must reads which outline the history of flu pandemics and the Russian flu.
All the best in the New Year!