Editor’s Picks 4/6/2014

Uncategorized 45 Comments
By Wesley Dodson

Perovskite solar cells can not only emit light, they can also emit up to 70% of absorbed sunlight as lasers.

Critical signaling molecules can be used to convert stem cells to neural progenitor cells, increasing the yield of healthy motor neurons and decreasing the time required to grow them.

Mexican blind cavefish are so close to their sighted kin that they are considered the same species, but they use pressure waves (from opening and closing their mouths) to navigate in the dark.

Electrostatic assembly allows luminescent elements (like Europium) to be embedded in nanodiamonds; these glowing particles “can be used as biomarkers, allowing researchers to track things that are happening inside cells.”

In a rather cruel experiment, researchers tortured male rats by isolating them, depriving them of food and water, clamping their tails, shocking them with electricity, dunking them in cold water, placing them in soiled bedding, and keeping the lights on all night.  Then they cut off and dissected the rats’ testicles to look for signs of stress in their reproductive cells.

On the brighter side of testicular slices, researchers have shown that cancer cells cannot survive a new process for removing and freezing a sample of testicular tissue from boys with cancer.  The process could allow patients to sidestep infertility caused by radiation and chemotherapy by implanting spermatogonial stem cells back into survivors when they reach adulthood.

A newly engineered bacterium can better manufacture pinene, “a hydrocarbon produced by trees that could potentially replace high-energy fuels, such as JP-10, in missiles and other aerospace applications.”

Weather extremes don’t always cause crops to fail; extra rain (as opposed to drought) can boost yields significantly, but it also boosts mosquito populations and the prevalence of mosquito-borne disease.

People with children “experienced less physical pain, felt they had more enjoyment in their lives, earned higher incomes, were better educated, and were healthier” than childless individuals, but still reported lower overall life satisfaction.

Like everyone else, most prisoners feel they are kinder and more moral than the average person; they also feel they are equally law-abiding.

Male wasps mouth the antennae of females during coitus to make them horny (with an oral pheromone), but a second exposure to the pheromone causes a lady wasp to lose interest in “unlocking her genitals” and start looking for fly larvae to deposit her eggs in.

Mafia members, despite their violent lifestyle, are highly social and not likely to be psychopaths.

Using more wood in building construction could reduce CO2 emissions related to the manufacture of steel and concrete while maintaining sustainable forestry practices.

New research replicates a pioneering 19th-century study of blood flow to the brain during cognitive processing.

Some children with autism respond favorably to naltexone, an opiate antagonist, but the drug did not demonstrate an impact on core features of the disorder.

Dogs placed in foster homes—dressed in “Adopt Me” vests and taken to public places—relieve crowding in animal shelters and are more likely to be adopted for the long-term.

Many “hot” foods, like capsaicin, activate the TRPV1 receptor; deceptive showmen apply ginger to the anuses of older horses to make their tails more erect.

Growing soccer players at elite levels of play are more likely to develop cam deformities of the hip.

A patient who lost his hippocampus in a motorcycle accident (and his ability to form new memories) still understands the concepts of past and future, yet he has no regrets, and cannot imagine anyone having regrets (even Richard Nixon).

Hybrid cars get better gas mileage in countries like India and China due to higher levels of traffic congestion.

Among 65,226 UK residents, eating 7 servings of fruits and vegetables per day reduced risk of death from all causes by 42%.

45 Responses to “Editor’s Picks 4/6/2014”

1. آچیلان در Says:
    April 26th, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hello Wesley Dodson, Thank you for post.

2. saneerausmenettely Says:
    May 6th, 2014 at 4:26 am

3. Bedava ilan ver Says:
    June 4th, 2014 at 4:28 am

Great tpiccs. Thank you.

4. Paul Richards Says:
    June 16th, 2014 at 3:53 am

5. تاسیسات Says:
    June 20th, 2014 at 3:35 am

Hello my good dear , Great tpiccs. Thank you. :-)

6. آبکنار Says:
    July 7th, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hi dear, I’ve just added this site to my favourites bar, loads of links to fantastic articles here.
    Thanks

7. lululemon vancouver sale Says:
    July 11th, 2014 at 6:02 am

real tiffany jewelry five fingers ratings cheap nike free ladies tiffany pearl mbt Womens Sport 2 Casual Walking Shoes Pink tiffany silver necklace with heart vibram five fingers Womens KSO Black Sale UK womens nike free run+ grey yellow vibram five fingers Women White/Grey Jaya LR Shoes vibram 5 finger kso nike nike women’s free run+ 2 ext running sneaker vibram five fingers Womens Sprint Gray With Blue Sale UK mbt Women’s Kaya Shoes Blue vibram Kso Olive Beech Camo 5 five fingers For Cheap nike free run 2 atomic orange tiffany madonna pendant vibram Komodo Sport LS Green Grey 5 five fingers For Cheap nike free trainer 5.0 volt black vibram foot shoes tiffany table lamp

8. سئو Says:
    July 14th, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Hello dear, Is this really true ? to be honest i don’t know a lot about solar cell and i never thought that they can build a sunlight laser.

9. nike running shoes Says:
    July 16th, 2014 at 11:38 am

It is truly a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

10. درب اتوماتیک Says:
    July 18th, 2014 at 3:07 am

Hello, Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts
    and I am waiting for your further write ups thank you once again.
    King regards :-)

11. Washington Wizards Custom White Adidas Home Jersey,Custom NBA Jerseys Says:
    July 20th, 2014 at 7:58 am

To Individuals Who Want To gain knowledge of nfl But Find it hard to Get Rolling

12. تاسیسات Says:
    July 20th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Hi dear , I think this is among the most vital info for me.
    تاسیسات مکانیکی , تاسیسات ساختمان , لوله کشی ساختمان , لوله کشی اطفاء حریق . Thanks

13. free wordpress themes Says:
    July 20th, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Hi my good dear , Great tpiccs. Thank you. :-)

14. femme en botte Says:
    July 23rd, 2014 at 11:27 am

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? With thanks

15. آچیلان در Says:
    August 2nd, 2014 at 2:21 am

Good day! Đây là loại ra khỏi chủ đề nhưng tôi cần một số lời khuyên từ một blog được thành lập. Có khó khăn để thiết lập blog của riêng bạn? Tôi không phải rất kỹ thuật nhưng tôi có thể tìm những điều trên khá nhanh chóng. Tôi đang suy nghĩ về việc thiết lập của riêng tôi nhưng tôi không chắc chắn bắt đầu từ đâu. Bạn có bất cứ lời khuyên hoặc đề nghị? với cảm ơn
    درب اتوماتيک شيشه اي
    درب اتوماتيک

16. درب اتوماتیک شیشیه ای Says:
    August 5th, 2014 at 4:04 am

hi my dear – hello you post is very thanks for
    مشاوره ازدواج
    درب اتوماتیک پارکینگ
    درب اتوماتيک
    آچیلان در
    درب اتوماتيک کرکره اي
    درب اتوماتيک شيشه اي
    درب اتوماتیک
    کسب درآمد
    جدیدترین اخبار روز ایران و جهان
    bye.

17. Otomatik Kapılar Says:
    August 25th, 2014 at 6:49 am

18. Leola Says:
    September 11th, 2014 at 6:43 am

On that note, this League of Legends game guide won’t have much in the way of rune info. If you like poisoning, disabling, blinding your opponents with handfuls of sand, kicking them when they’re down, the the Brawler is the class for you. b) barbell back to thighs, then pull bar from knees and catch bar at shoulders.

19. درب اتوماتیک Says:
    September 16th, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Hi dear,Until now I did not notice these things. I’m glad you’ve mentioned. I understand what you mean. I must thank you for this article

20. Garfield Says:
    September 19th, 2014 at 4:23 am

Right here is the perfect website for anybody who wants to understand this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a topic which has been discussed for decades. Excellent stuff, just excellent!

21. Jerrell Says:
    September 20th, 2014 at 7:23 am

Incessant coaching is crucial to stay oneself in high kind and healthiness. Martial Arts games make simple drills a lot more enjoyable and a lot more functional. Another important aspect in choosing the right school is to discuss things with the head instructor, or owner.

22. Eleanore Says:
    September 20th, 2014 at 7:27 am

Quite surprisingly, the risk of injury from martial arts is lower compared to other contact sports. Most injuries associated with martial arts are aching limbs and lower back pain, which are usually mild to moderate injuries. If this is your situation, you will want to read what I have to say and learn martial arts training along with the ability to apply your hard efforts and take your training to another level.

23. آچیلان در Says:
    September 27th, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Hi, Quite surprisingly, the risk of injury from martial arts is lower compared to other contact sports

24. آچیلان در Says:
    September 27th, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Hi dear,Until now I did not notice these things. I’m glad you’ve mentioned.
    Thanks.

25. Britney Amsdell Says:
    September 30th, 2014 at 7:57 pm

get it right here

26. دانلود رایگان Says:
    October 2nd, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Hello ,Until now I did not notice these things. I’m glad you’ve mentioned.
    Thanks.

27. کوماکس Says:
    October 2nd, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Hello, Quite surprisingly, the risk of injury from martial arts is lower compared to other contact sports

28. Sprachschule frankfurt Says:
    October 8th, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Sprachschule frankfurt We do consider many of the tips you might have presented with your post. They’re just effective and will absolutely perform. Even now, your content particularly limited first off. Might you you should stretch these just a little via next time? Thanks for the posting.

29. otomatik kapı Says:
    October 15th, 2014 at 2:15 am

I love your products. I have several items of yours in my cart as I type this!

30. تور آنتالیا Says:
    December 30th, 2014 at 2:53 am

Hello dear

Hello, very nice, thanks admin of this website.
    Thank researchblogging.org

تور آنتاليا

تور استانبول

31. مشاوره مدیریت Says:
    January 3rd, 2015 at 3:10 am

Thank you. i found it great.

32. توراستانبول Says:
    January 3rd, 2015 at 7:50 pm

33. Atticus Says:
    January 5th, 2015 at 10:47 am

Mafia members are incredibly social. Al Pacino and any other famous mobsters were always doing things for the public. I believe he actually opened a soup kitchen (or something of the sort) so that people could get free food.

However getting on their bad side wasn’t a good idea..

34. مهاجرت Says:
    January 16th, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Hi, Thank you very much enjoyed many nice Site, ;-)

35. reza Says:
    January 24th, 2015 at 9:21 am

36. تور استانبول Says:
    February 6th, 2015 at 5:19 pm

thanks for pm and post my friend.

37. payam Says:
    March 4th, 2015 at 11:58 am

38. درب اتوماتیک Says:
    April 16th, 2015 at 7:57 am

Thanksss dear

39. Houston Energy Efficient Windows Says:
    May 7th, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Nice!

40. Hollie Santos Says:
    May 7th, 2015 at 5:04 pm

merci pour ces informations

41. USA NEWS Says:
    June 4th, 2015 at 7:37 am

Hi friends, we providing news service , you check my this site,

42. Debrah Sytsma Says:
    June 20th, 2015 at 6:51 am

43. sdorttuiiplmnr Says:
    June 23rd, 2015 at 2:30 am

Thanks for helping out, great info. “Hope is the denial of reality.” by Margaret Weis.

44. تور کیش Says:
    July 4th, 2015 at 6:23 am

thanks

45. KLIK Says:
    July 31st, 2015 at 8:19 am

Good post. I learn one thing more difficult on completely different blogs everyday. It will at all times be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and observe somewhat one thing from their store. I’d desire to use some with the content material on my blog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide you with a hyperlink on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.